CivWiki Highlights for June 6, 2023
Good morning from California!
My vacation isn’t quite over yet, so this is a highlights over the past two weeks rather than an actual newsletter. I figured after the past couple of weeks, something should sum up the past week or so.
The highlights are intended to be a shorter format than the newsletter; this will solely focus on the single featured article that week, and the current events in an extremely short bullet point format. So:
- no big explanation sections,
- few pictures,
- no crazy game highlights,
- no polls,
- no fun stuff (including build or map highlights),
- no op-eds, and most importantly
- no baseball bulletpoints.
If people like this in the future, I might run this alongside the regular newsletter, since I’m essentially copy-pasting this against the current events on the front page of the CivWiki.
This week’s featured image is Aeros’ enchanted city.
Empty Promises was a Civ magazine that highlighted articles, news, columns, interviews, cartoons, and other affairs related to Civ. Occasionally published by Dr_Oracle throughout the later years of Civcraft and in CivClassic, it was frequently marketed as “Civ’s longest running newspaper/magazine/bad joke”. Its main selling points were its high effort to design along with its commitment to investigative journalism, generally well received by the community. It often tackled challenging subjects, such as Nether Factories drama and recovery efforts during the late years of the Titan and HCF wars in Civcraft, and featuring or interviewing figures like sintralin and bgbba during the Somber War giving both perspectives of the war’s outbreak.
Empty Promises was unique as it was one of the only fully compiled, true-to-its-form, and sometimes open-sourced Civ magazines; many Civ newspapers today only focus on current events and rarely run interviews, op-eds, features, or showcases about items that had little to do with current events. Dr_Oracle has since gone inactive, although occasionally played in the Augustan Federation in its later days. (Full article…)
This week’s featured article picture is a page out of Empty Promises Issue 13, talking about Pacem.
The Tower Bridge in Imperia, Imperial Federation.
Added June 1
- CivMC is celebrated its first anniversary this weekend. It’s introducing an ore-doubling weekend and fixing multiple bugs with ore harvesting, along with adding Amethyst to the ore pool.
- Several new nations have claimed land on the server, taking up old claims after many nations have reduced their claims in the past month.
- The Imperial Federation have elected its new parliament, and have created a bicameral system of government following their previous constitutional changes.
- Cortesia Del Mar passed a resolution affirming itself as an LGBTQ+ safe space, in celebration of Pride Month.
- Icarus deposed CredixYt as their prime minister with Jamiemie chosen as their successor.
- Nara’s new colony, Mali have published their first magazine of record, highlighting happenings across their territory.
- Several issues have developed with the Leibniz Confederation this past week, with some reaching claims agreements with the country’s leader, Okx while others continue to have gripes regarding his inactivity.
- Return of the Civ reset their map but have introduced several new features and plugins to amplify gameplay this past week.
Added June 6
- CivMC admins gave players a commemorative cake with lore to celebrate its first anniversary. They also added One Time Teleport, a highly requested feature for newcomers to the server.
- SEC spokesperson ChrisChrispie released the new claims of the formerly Gang Shi territory, with most territory going to surrounding countries.
- Pavian Crown Prince BritishWanderer IV announced the country would transform into the Empire of Pavia, declaring himself emperor. Pavian officials are seeking any whereabouts on Jimmy the Jester.
- An experimental form of Hockey, dubbed Extreme Hockey, was playtested this past week in Cortesia Del Mar
- Achiuwa and Lesneria have conflicts over the land once again; Warmia, an involved party from a previous conflict have claimed to have no involvement in the argument.
- The Imperial Federation have signed treaties with DonFuer and the SEC; both agreed to mutual protection of each territory as well as some claims changes.
- CivUnion, which includes CivReign and CivRev, is becoming semi-inactive due to technical and logistical issues.
This is just my area to do the plugs:
- Please compete in the newsletter’s screenshot competition!
- It’s literally super easy
- There are few submissions so you can win very easily
- You can dig up a build screenshot that you posted on Reddit from months ago
- You can find something in your screenshots folder that had anything to do with a war
- There’s a monetary prize of $25 winner/$10 runner-up
- It’s due June 19 (even longer than June 12, so even more time to build stupid crap)
- Contribute a featured article,
- It’s quite simple as you just nominate an article and/or
- give a writeup for an article that should be featured
- Donate to the ko-fi,
- i hate advertising myself
- Literally donating gets you nothing besides a shoutout in the newsletter
- Support the newsletter when it comes back by reading & sharing it :)
I’m also probably still going to just do Highlights on June 12, so no newsletter next week. I promise that June 19 will be an actual newsletter, and will possibly cover everything in the past three weeks.