CivWiki Monday Newsletter for October 2, 2023
Good morning and happy Monday from New England!
Not a long intro today for me because I just have to make this one this week so I don’t fall too far behind unfortunately. Not even that long this week because we’re lacking on content once again, but looking forward to this week and it’s a busy one, I’m sure everyone is having a great time.
Let’s get to the news…
This week’s featured image is of New Callisto, the new capital of the Imperial Federation. It may not look like much right now, but I love the style and rustic feel of both the train station and the factory building that it’s a great start for a country that’s still feeling its way around trying to rebuild. A great start for its (third?) capital of the country, looking forward to more.
Unfortunately, I actually don’t have a featured article this week. It’s not that I had any ideas left (although, I don’t have any ideas right now), but I didn’t give the HCF War, the featured article last week, its right due on the front page the previous week, so it’s going to get shown on the front page within in the day.
Amicitia’s courthouse in the Lux Capital.
Happenings Around Civ
- Warmia apologized for its actions over the past few months, claiming that the country will do better, hoping to repair relations with nearly every country on the server.
- RetroQ immediately resigned upon taking office last week and was replaced by Metallic as the new president of Transylvania. His first order was purging all inactive members of the country as well as other acts that can be seen in this Reddit post.
- The Imperial Federation announced the construction of its new capital-in-progress, New Callisto.
- Additionally, Mat_Potato_King was elected as the new chancellor of the Imperial Federation.
- The Monument Group has released information on its financial activities during Q3, showing a moderate increase in revenue and net income, with continued overall health, sporting a 1 diamond dividend for all share holders.
- A rail connection was also made from Bedford Commons making it easier to travel to the more isolated parts of Pavia
- AugustusVex is holding a scavenger hunt in Icenia on October 14, next Saturday.
- Estalia has released its full list of over 13,000 wordbanks for sale. Contact Estalia for more information on buying any of them.
- Nara has discovered brews that make breaking things faster to make it so much easier to break things
- Solitaire is holding a lottery at the end of this month, with netherite ingots as the top prize. The entry fee was deliberately chosen to increasing server ratings on server websites, which have been lagging in recent weeks.
- Discord screenshots will no longer be able to be accessed publicly outside of the app; if you have used discord as a file upload service in the past to store your pictures (especially if you had a picture in this newsletter), download your pictures and upload them to a new file service for safekeeping. Upload ‘em to CivWiki for all I care, I don’t.
- SoundTech’s weekly update signals that the team has been very busy outside of the game (same here, buddy), but working on a revamp of Kira and monitoring tools like CivSpy. Additionally, Diet_Cola and Owain_X are intermittently working on Civ plugin upgrades to 1.20.
The Fun Stuff
Oceanstar’s new village on the hills of Mercutio(?).
- The Lux Capital is starting to look like an actual town (no offense sorry)
- Of course, the whole steampunk vibe coming from the Imperial Federation
- The new Pacem on a hill in Mercutio from Oceanstar
- Civball submissions are coming through the roof, including…
- KC’s renditions of CW and North Africa
- A NordCo civball from VilyanZ
- An Imperial Federation Civball from CptColton
- An Icenian methhead and CaneCorp farmer
- A Wayrest Civball from Shadowvdark, along with a Joja wine ball
- An Asgard Civball from Korvenov, but also another one made by Crizzpy, come on guys you gotta pick one
- A Lusitania Civball from the past from Banyough
- A Nara Civball featuring Finn
- An easily recognizable Mercutio Civball with heart
- An Estalia Civball from Doom Deliver… I mean ShadySauce, although I guess the Civball is missing a donut
- And finally, IceBoy pulling out all the stops for Icarus and Minsk
- Butter_villager posted a new comic about all the different characters joining Gang Shi
- Amicitia announced its new anthem. Only reminds me more of the Concordia anthem from 3.0
- Let me know if you want to see more of the Civ iceberg I made, or even more crazily, you want me to make a video on it
- So I don’t get why the boar church is hereticizing Don_Fuer but uh ok
- You know, Icenia shouldn’t have made this public, time for Pavia to get offended
- Icenia went to Gang Shi and had a fun time. I don’t know I guess it belongs here? Whatever bro
- The baseball season came down to the wire with only eight of the twelve playoff spots clinched coming into Saturday night — that is, until the Mariners lost Saturday and made it impossible for them to make it to the playoffs, fucking hell. Looking forward to another “unexpected” Houston sweep in the World Series this season, even if they literally don’t deserve it
- The Denver Broncos won the toilet bowl of the season, coming back from a 28-7 deficit against the other worst team in the league, the Chicago Bears. Everyone saw that coming, right?
Things People Care About
- For those Japanese inclined, here’s a little trip back to a funk fusion band, Casiopea, which is so fucking good. Did you know that keyboardist Minoru Mukaiya is now composing for JR?
- I’ve also discovered possibly the best (and simultaneously cursed) mashup album this year, please brace yourself for laughter.
- Swordmaster’s birthday was September 30, please birthday react in Nara discord. No, I won’t link it, go do it yourself.
Poll of the Week
Last week we had… wait… 27 responses? What?
The problem last week was that I uploaded an initial version of the poll as a picture, with the actual poll right below that. I suppose a number of people got confused since I use the picture as an editing device since it doesn’t show up on my preferred editor before it goes to publishing. It won’t happen again in the future.
The first and only question, of which the data is pretty much not worth looking at, was **“Would you prefer to have less or more frequent updates?”
I think I can safely say that there are a good amount of people that do care about the updates being good and frequent, but it doesn’t matter how often things get updated. Unfortunately, I asked this because the pace we’ve been going at so far has been very, very slow. That PvP update we have been asking for a while has not happened at all yet. So we’ll have to see whether this will pan out in the future.
So what about the poll for this week? Well…
Sunday Night Cry for Help
I have a lot going on this week, so honestly, nothing much to say here besides thanks for reading, and…
Before you go, have a look at tybug’s op-ed this week about reliable sources on Civ. It’s well written and should help editors make CivWiki better! (This was here last week, but I assume most of you haven’t seen it.)
- If you’d like to get your stuff in the newsletter like this op-ed today!!!, either Write a featured article, or contact me to write an op-ed at
@specificlanguageon Discord. My DMs are “open” for questions if you’ve got any for either request!
See you next week,