CivWiki Monday Newsletter for November 7, 2022
Good morning and happy November from New England!
It’s been quite a busy week for me and I honestly have a lot of writing to do outside of this (not to mention, it’s probably the worst class I’ve ever taken in my life), but I’ve tried to make time to look at Civ.
There’s very little news this week, but I’ve tried to at least gather up what’s useful. There’s very little drama and all but war, so news is a bit lacking, but I really hope there’s something new, even just like an Olympics or something, just to at least spice things up a little going into the holiday season.
Ready for the news?
This week’s featured picture, believe it or not, is Pavia. Away from the hustle and bustle of the city, we have the small village of Bedford, along the south coast of the country. Its current duke, BritishWanderer IV, has joined the effort with Crown Prince Creepi0n to build homes for Pavian citizens as the war has finished and have made lovely cottages for the residents of the country. It ends up making an image that looks like the rural English countryside. Great stuff!
Caledonia was a country on CivClassic mainly focused on economic development and was one of the few culturally relevant countries located on the eastern half of the server. The country was founded by Wingzero54 and meat312, both former Yoahtlans who were tired of government policy in the country. The country also engaged in diplomatic affairs with Wingzero becoming the first spokesperson of SATO, an alliance with many southwestern countries as well as engaging in parts of server conflict in the War of the Coalition.
One of the major landmarks in Caledonia was the aptly-named Securemall, an obsidian case filled to the brim with XP, enchanted armor and tools, bastions, and other valuable items not normally found through regular mall shops. The country’s capital, Aberdeen, was also a major cultural hub as the Central Station was a transportation hub for the quadrant as well as expansive builds such as Castle Vroengard, a large fortress, HenryDraton’s palace, built after his departure from Mount Augusta and the Caledonia Library, an outdoor library located among the streets of the city center. Wingzero became an admin for CivClassic and today is the owner of CivMC, while many of Caledonia’s inhabitants currently play in Dalgon.
This week’s featured article picture is of Aberdeen and its city center, overlooking the village and the cathedral’s square and city streets.
Commonwealth, above the bamboo forest and panda sanctuary, taken by banyough.
- Earlier this week, Yodabird19 advocated for the unbanning of SapienFrfx.
- After supposedly using a VPN and was banned, admins did not respond to her concern for several days before getting any sort of response and at the time of posting, had made little progress towards doing so.
- The post was made after increasing impatience among the admin team that was not responding to modmails or tickets.
- Just under half an hour after the post was made, SapienFrfx was unbanned.
- However, increasing calls have come to the admins to attempt to keep priorities in check, as a minor issue like this should not have gone ignored.
- Relations between the Temporal Isles and Icenia came to a head this week.
- After continued tensions resulting from relatively small scuffles between the two countries following their separation, citizens JuniorTide, Gamertime69, and Cammo37 confronted the country at their vault bunker, after a small situation turned into a tense confrontation.
- Tensions boiled over as PhysicsGamer died while in the skybunker, with DockerImage there to pick up loot. Dark_Muffin23 has also been involved following this incident.
- JuniorTide has confessed to “doing a little too much trolling.”
- President ChrisChrispie has told Icenia citizens to be “cordial”, and both nations’ citizens have been banned from entering the other’s.
- A new alliance, the ironically named “Independent Southern Powers” or ISP, has been formed with Cortesia del Mar, Venne, the Arsenio Pact, Ila’Kyavul, and Nara all joining together.
- The post says the goal of the alliance is “for the advancement of regional collaboration, integration, and unity.”
- SPQR’s has elected Zer0theNumber as their tribune in the senate.
- Lambat’s latest census shows the country’s rapid growth in the previous months, as well as the country’s concentration in Pioneer Village
- In Petrichor, the Blue Cross of the Commonwealth has erected a brand new hospital, the St. Lemur Medical Center. It’s the first hospital for the organization internationally.
- Truidencia has a new brew, Nidaros Akevitt, and is currently selling it on request.
- With the NDZHL’s restart, an exhibition NDZHL match has been completed for the first time since the war, with the Naran National Team winning on their new hockey stadium against the Lambat team, 11-1.
- The Imperial Federation has elected SouthW3st as the next Chancellor, after two rounds of voting and a record 57 votes throughout its numerous electoral districtions.
- Additionally, Imperia, the nation’s capital, has begun construction after long delays. They’re in the process of creating a Victorian-themed terrace shopping area as well as Civ city staples such as a government building and train station. Crossposted from the Federalist Papers.
- CivVie has announced that it would begin development of their second beta, aiming to be closer to release after two months, with commitments to optimization and increased content.
The Fun Stuff
Gensokyo, looking into the residential district, taken by banyough.
- The pictures on the actual newspaper are really small but from the 1-pixel wide pictures in the Federalist Papers, Imperia’s place is looking really cool.
- Not to reiterate more of the previous news but I really like the design of the St. Lemur Medical Hospital, hoping it integrates into the city well as it’s already really clean
- Uh, I guess I’ll highlight the Sneedville sign? I would have been killed by ChrisChrispie if I didn’t
- A rainy night in Danzilona makes some of the country’s locales look like a picturesque setting on a cozy spring night. Thanks Des23
- Have to highlight Bedford in Pavia again, if I wasn’t looking carefully it’d be unmistakable for a Southern English countryside.
- Just want to appreciate the graphic design of the two informational posts mentioned previously:
- the electoral result image for the Imperial Federation, with its clean design that looks better than most American and British electoral maps
- the Lambat census which is definitely better than most American, let along Filipino corporate infographics
- This propaganda poster from Nara may seem like something very normal compared to other retro posters that have been posted previously, but on a closer look, poster ryanmatt10 had to Photoshop and mask the image perfectly to actually put the word “Naran” on the train side (as in Naran Rail Corp). The effort here is definitely something that should not go unappreciated
- Lasady’s incredible Sneed ‘n’ Feed Civball gif has very few words that I can personally muster up
- Is wjkroeker doing the CivMC Weekly Update now?
- Boy I do love rotating the CivMC claims map by roughly 125 degrees
- Ally! But also StopNaglafer?
- My addition for the week, communication error
- Do I want pigeons in my Lambat?
- I think the better soundtrack for the unbanning meme would have been the “Meet the Spy” music
Noticably Shorter Cry for Help
This week’s featured picture is of Lasady’s winning entry in the Southshire Civball halloween contest, a parody of popular UDF meme Sneed’s Feed & Seed.
Huh, it really was shorter this week. I did notice that the player counts have been hovering around 40 lately so maybe something ought to change about that one…
Anyway, if you want to submit a featured article, please submit this form right here. This month, I’ll be giving those who submit fun prizes in game, which I’ve yet to decide what I’m actually going to give (despite my being poor in game). Greatly appreciate those who have already submitted articles, you can also submit articles about your own nations if you haven’t done so, take a look at the form for more information.
But as always…