Happy Monday Morning from New England!
This week’s featured image is the Pavian Town Hall, opened last week by Pavian Crown Prince BritishWanderer II.
Last week after some constructive criticism from many people, I’ve decided to make a few changes.
- The long drama writeups that were present last week are intended to be a lot shorter, mostly to let other people interpret their own views and to put more of the writing on CivWiki itself. As always, I try to keep these newsletters as unbiased as possible while providing an informed-as-possible view of the news at hand.
- I’ve reordered the newsletter to be more representative of the community, so I’m moving around a few pieces and would love pieces of feedback.
You may also noticed there is a visual Markdown version of this newsletter this week. This allows me to better pace the content and to incorporate more of the amazing screenshots posted on Reddit that nobody gets to see. At the moment, this is a temporary measure; I’m exploring ways to make this more accessible like the Pavia Tribune or the Wikipedia Signpost.
I’ve gotten a lot of support for writing these newsletters every week, and so many people I’ve talked to are so appreciative of the newsletter every week, and I am absolutely grateful for all your support.
- Editor’s Note
- Featured Article
- Current Events
- The Fun Stuff
- The Increasingly Cliche Cry For Help
This week’s featured article was co-written by u/Yodabird19, u/tvman2, and u/morsden67 (specificlanguage), and this week’s image is a render of the skyline of Downtown Mount Augusta in CivClassic by u/jasonbord.
Mount Augusta’s iteration on CivClassic 2.0 was a large city state centered around democracy, legalism and limited government. After its initial stint near Tierra de Conciencia the country settled near The Commonwealth and became a populous center of activity near the middle of the map. The city played a major role in the start of the NATO-Mir War, or Infinity War and had ten mayors over the server’s lifespan.
The city was also an economic and cultural capital of the server; the Maester Alliance, a bookkeeping organization, and the Order of St. Marcus had its headquarters in Shardore Tower Library. The Augustan Trade Center and nearby Mount Augusta Mall had numerous local and international shops, and the city organized and held the Fourth Olympics on the server.
The city had many distinct districts which also became its own territories, such as South Augusta, Sealand, Insula, and the Union of Socialist Augusta. The city collapsed after players migrated over to a new iteration in CivRealms 2.0, while much of its territory was inherited by Mount September.
This section’s header image is a view of the Joja Cafe, on the central canal in Mount Augusta, taken by u/CutePastelStars.
Oh boy, do we have a lot this week. Get your pants and comment section ready.
Updates from Kū & Estalia
- After tensions with Estalia, the Communion of Kū’s territory and city was griefed by Estalian players, and Kū-toans were forced to move from their former claims. Black_Fusion was subsequently pearled.
- Estalia’s view of the conflict can be seen here, and Kū’s view of the conflict can be seen here.
- International response was highly sympathetic towards Kū’s cause, and a coalition led by Gensokyo has announced an embargo of Estalian goods, something that Estalia has heavily advertised for.
Updates from Mount Augusta
- Mount Augusta governor ComradeNick and judges Cattus_ and Asakuun_v2 revoked various Augustans citizenship, including governor candidate Ahme63.
- This was in response to Ahme63 and supporters maliciously overclaiming land that was recently claimed for government purposes, also raising concerns that the country claimed to their own country of ParadICE. More explanation here.
- While unprecedented, ComradeNick has made efforts to curb side effects by reinstating Fairbyfly’s citizenship, a citizen caught up in the action.
Poortea Stuff Again, Letting Him Get More Attention Again
- NetherPearled, a former citizen of the Hyperborean Federation was pearled by Blockchainistan for antisemitic comments.
- It turns out that NetherPearled was actually a VPN-alt of poortea, who has logged into and banned from previous civ servers for similar offensive comments.
- Rhode Island players were accused of knowingly not reporting poortea, however these bans were quickly investigated and reversed due to a misunderstanding.
An Attempted Coup in KOEL
- Lurxo, a high ranking official in the Kingdom of ErrorL, attempted to inside the country by coordinating with other nations in secret, such as the nearby Caliphate. Before his discovery, he also raided much of the city.
- After being outed by ErrorL, on Lurxo’s next login, Lurxo pearled herobrine_nm, a citizen of KOEL. However, Lurxo was quickly pearled and is awaiting trial in the ErrorL courts.
- Petrichor held its first elections and elected MetalHusband as its first General Secretary. Other members elected to high positions are SirBoss, shadedoom, and Goosie_Goose.
- Icenia also held its first elections with Charliseese becoming the Speaker of the Senate while many new and veteran players became part of the Senate and ministry of the President.
- The election also coincided with the constitution coming into effect, allowing foreigners to settle and make shops.
- CivMC admins are looking for two new admins, one more community-oriented, and one more project management-oriented. See here for more details.
- While TPS issues are still being sorted, a poll was created by SoundTech to determine if mushroom trees were viable, and the community showed an overwhelmingly positive response.
- Admin Infra announced that Schematica could only be used for relatively limited purposes, threatening bans for fortifications, infrastructure, and farms.
- VintageCiv has announced a large number of food-related changes for a major update.
- Mount Augusta has their own position on the situation in Ku.
- Results for the Nation Perception Survey have released! See your nation’s scores in the post!
- Valyria bans Vah, the leader of Fellowship, from the country.
- Mount Augusta holds a constitutional convention to change its current constitution.
The Fun Stuff
This section’s header image is Jah Park in Icenia, a growing central district for Icenia City, taken by u/charlieseeese.
The Cool Stuff
- Pavia’s town hall gets completed, opened by u/BritishWanderer and is probably the biggest build and also fastest time for a megabuild on the server
- u/ChrisChrispie tries to absolutely own Mount Augusta in build quality and then gets backslapped by u/CutePastelStars and the good builders of Mount Augusta
- Then again Icenia does have a good track record of posting images, this one by u/griffinht.
- u/Vanax35 created a short tutorial on CivMC mechanics that’s pretty well done, which honestly, better than I could do
- Doom City creates Mount Rushmore but uh, Mount Doom I guess
- AK’s apiary in Lambat has very chill vibes, especially in this rain, thanks u/BluJaySA
- The nation of Feline is announced with a cute cat and also a rail & city with its own conlang. Honestly they’re kinda wholesome, thanks u/ziwin, all the best
The Good Poopposts
I’m only highlighting Estaliaposts that are relatively high quality or just funny
- The Estalia reaper should really come for me because I’m getting absolutely tired of doing this, thanks u/RektTangle
- Everyone and their mother, including Gantoe, has an opinion of Estalia now
- I promise you, u/Cowguypig has made a definitive case for Estalia, just take a look at this i swear
- Yes I was happier seven years ago thanks for asking
- Insert Tianameme Square here
- When modmail
- Actually based when you’re POS for Discord PVP
- VTuber Checkpoint moment
- I’m…gonna be honest I don’t know where else to put this
Everything Else (Newswise)
- u/Lodish did what Lambat could not – make a good puzzle. Honestly hope these continue
- The Petrichor Summer Arts Festival Voting is ending very quickly after this post
- And the results for if Estalia committed war crimes is uh….leaning towards yes
- Southshire celebrates its 5th anniversary of its founding, congratulations Eddie!
- Another nation size comparison, I swear to god prawny…
- God, I actually love map art, and you can too!
- Signup for the Dirt Building Competition today!
- What a wholesome tourist trip by two oldfriends!
The Increasingly Cliche Cry For Help
This section’s header image is a Civball mural of Southshire’s allies, made by u/Eddiison2013.
Thanks for reading.
If you don’t know, I make these Monday Newsletters every week, by myself, nearly from scratch, with the only things that have been pre-made are the templates for CivWiki and featured article submissions. All reporting is independently done, and articles are chosen by me. Constructive criticism is welcomed and encouraged.
I’m so glad to appreciate support from so many of you and I’m glad that many people around the Civ community read these procrastinated writeups.
If you enjoy these little spices of life every Monday morning, I always welcome contributors by using the form. You can submit anything from:
- Featured CivWiki articles
- Current events
- Opinion pieces
- Picture contributions
Follow the form right here to submit.
«< Last Week’s Post (June 20) (although do you really want to read that one?)
Thank you everyone, it’s only like the 6th issue of this newsletter but I am so happy it’s getting all the support it’s getting over the past month and a half. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for reading.
And as always, EDIT CIVWIKI