CivWiki Monday Newsletter for April 17, 2023
Good morning and happy Patriot’s Day from New England!
Fun fact, Patriots Day is actually a state holiday in Massachusetts, and pretty much nowhere else. I have the day off today! It’s not just because of the Boston Marathon that happens today (Boston Strong!). It commemorates the first battles of the American Revolution, taking place just outside Boston in Lexington and Concord.
Speaking of battles, who’s ready for some news?
This week’s featured image is Altepetl, Yoahtl’s capital. Honestly, this might be the best Yoahtl city to date, with large jungle vistas matching up with the towering buildings around the city as well, it’s very tasteful in terms of greenery, protection, urban design and construction. Very well done and thanks to Quauhtli’n’Mia, you can’t see any sign of a pigeon in this picture! Looking forward to actually taking a look at this on the server.
The Workers’ Party (often abbreviated TWP) is a communist and far-left aligned political party spanning multiple servers on Civ. Originally founded on the Golden Creeper server in Leningrad, when the nation moved to New Leningrad on Civcraft 2.0, the party came along with it. It eventually morphed into other forms on Civcraft 3.0 and Devoted before being refounded by SandFalls in CivClassic 2.0 in Mount Augusta, where it played a major role in its controversial elections, creating the Confederation of Socialist Augusta and taking hold of the Confederation of Cities, Communes, and Protectorates, a nation composed of all the primarily communist nations on the server.
Worker’s Party members consisted of any voting member in Mount Augusta residing in the country with interest in Communism, with its main goals being nationalization, anti-nationalism, anti-imperialism, worker unity and vanguardism. The Worker’s Party also contributed to builds in its territories, including a large stadium in the southwest of Mount Augusta. Today the Worker’s Party’s successor is the Mery Horde on CivMC, however Worker’s Party communes exist in Pavia and Danzilona. (Full article…)
This week’s featured image is the Palace of the Soviets in the Union of Socialist Augusta.
Griffin’s waterfront with pastel colored houses and a grand ship.
- Yoahtl had an attempted breaking-in by Gang Shi this past weekend. The linked message might not show it, but people were concerned…
- Estalia stumbled into Gang Shi territory following their spleef match; initially just building a symbol of friendship and hanging out in Voice Chat that day
- Later on in the night however, Gang Shi decided to head to Yoathl and approached the trench at Altepetl, attempting to breach the lodestone door down to the trench.
- Because of their activity as well as some players being deemed pearled on sight by the SEC, Yoahtl and SEC responded with attacking the Gang Shi fighters.
- While chasing them back, Yoahtl pearled Wilson for his welcome book, but he was quickly released after threats from S4NTA.
- Eventually issues were resolved between the SEC, Yoahtl, and Estalia and no further hostile intentions were intended or considered by either side. 🤞
- Mercutio and Aeros signed the Treaty of Marettimo, committing to mutual defense and infrastructure as well as common extradition.
- Icenia pearled CHRIS_WINS_AGAIN so did Chris really win?
- Cortesia Del Mar and the Transport Union have agreed on making their portal publicly accessible. In addition, Vedd has been appointed to the Transport Board.
- Lambat is currently in the process of electing another Metro Council for the next three months. Incumbents are largely expected to return to the positions.
- Nara finally finished up their spleef games for the Olympics, with Estalia winning both against Pavia and Nara, who came second and third respectively. The final medal tally can be seen here.
- ASomb has been elected mayor of Mount Augusta, along with an inaguaration on Sunday.
- Transylvania has a new constitution.
- masqis and phobitica were wed in Pavia this past weekend.
- The Diamond/Iron exchange in Pavia reopened, with a wider range of prices available.
- Additionally, the Monument Bank opened this past week, offering holding accounts for the masses. Although some are concerned about the possible risks, their previous quarter’s impressive results have been reassuring. It’s also discord integrated. Crossposted from the Main Street Journal.
The snowy pastures of the Duchy of Courron — so far…
- CivReign celebrated its Spring Festival this past weekend, encouraging players to join with a 50% boost to its mining rate, along with an easily obtainable springsteel pickaxe, similar to moonsteel.
- Additionally small buffs have been added to factory repairs and adamantine, among others.
However, once again I did not get a lot of news this week! It’s definitely telling that…
- Laurentia announced they would be moving to CivMC, joining the Imperial Federation.
- Citing “high difficulty” for newfriends along with “low activity”, they’ve decided that it’s no longer worth it to continue grinding on the server.
- It doesn’t help that the server’s peak barely has reached last week’s peak from the Carrot Festival. It is quite a large ask to reform the server at this rate and I know they are trying their best, but there needs to be a much bigger effort to get people back!
Around the Civ
- Wordbank is making a big comeback on CivMC, with RedDevel asking for wordbank submissions. It allows nametags that are specially colored and unique, so it’ll be really cool
- grepsedawk is campaigning for VPS to be excepted for established players so it’s easier to run a bot, such as his framework, Rosegold on the cloud.
- Guess what’s back? CivMC ads on r/mcservers!
- Return of the Civ has continued to march on, with a full revamp of their beta following a vote to reset the map and its plugins. It’s currently on its second iteration of its beta and is hoping to release the server with its current map.
- CivCivCiv is currently contemplating changing names for the third time to the much more sensible CivCubed
- Images on CivWiki are finally back following a nearly week-long outage! Honestly really pissed that these amazing photos from last week’s featured articles could barely be seen
The Fun Stuff
Zaros’ Trade Building in Volterra.
- Warmia’s capital looks amazing despite the fact these pics are three weeks old from Shadno
- Blatlas has built a great public gym in Nara, along with their radio tower replicating Tokyo
- Meanwhile Imperial Truidence were in the background building stuff and I wasn’t looking!!!
- AK has this beautiful build in the middle of the Lambatan forest.
- Gobblin has shared some in-progress pics from new Pavia builds,
- Altepetl is looking beautiful, not just from the picture that was highlighted today but a large album of pictures curated by Quauhtli’n’Mia
- Kind of pissed that there were too many amazing builds this week so I couldn’t highlight the Nord Co shop in Yoahtl
- Everybody forgets that SeldomShock is one of the great builders on Civ and is very quiet about it, so I have to highlight his Zaros builds which have an incredible amount of detail
- Gang Shi has a new recruitment video that’s actually high quality in terms of editing
- Fox and Dino are doing a tour around the server with their first stop in Pavia
- Those random newfriends, ACCoker and Pantherr also did a funny world tour too
- Ah yes, I do like Koreas in the northern part of the world
- Wilson has a new audiobook and has been truly coping and seething while being banned
- I mean Cupar has already said that CivReign was a failure sooooo
- I just want to fish for gods sake
- Does this mean that Icenia is actually going to eat you
- No Mariners content this week (besides this ridiculous dinger and a half by Jarred Kelenic), but I just want people to look at these semi-ugly jerseys for the Red Sox. I get it’s for the Marathon, but could you have come up with a better design?
- Speaking of the Marathon, I ran a 5K this past weekend in Boston too, from the same org who runs the Boston Marathon. It was amazing! If anybody cares, I did it in just under 28min, but nobody’s going to care.
- For the crazy modded crowd, Gensokyo is currently doing a playthrough of Enigmatica 9. Probably have to ask them for pal again so I can just play the funny modded
- Yoahtl was watching Saving Private Ryan so that’s cool
- Jack Black may have been a little excited to play Bowser
Truncated Cry for Help
Phobitica and Sdorr in Mercutio, prior to the signing of the Treaty of Marettimo with Aeros.
Thanks for reading this week’s (#48) newsletter! This is a very short newsletter. Oh well…
For week 52, I’m hoping to have a screenshot competition as we celebrate both one year of the newsletter as well as one year of CivMC (and two months of CivReign, too). There will be monetary incentives powered by our folks who donated on the Ko-fi, which was totally not the plan, but I have nothing else to use $20 on! More details on that later, including who the judges for the competition are.
Thanks to Creepi0n, Gjum, Hoover, BritishWanderer, NeoTide, Gwua, MechanicalRift, fastestgrass, and jbblocker for helping out with this newsletter.
If you’d like to support the newsletter…
- Write a featured article! It’s way easier than you think.
- Donate to ko-fi! You get no monetary benefit but it’s good for the soul!
- Contact me if you’d like to help regularly edit the newsletter weekly… not like people would want to do this job…
If you’re not interested, then feel free to keep on reading. And as always…
- < < < Last week’s newsletter (April 10)
- Submit a featured article - You’ve got this! Homestretch, baby!
- View and post comments on r/CivWiki
- View a shortened version of this newsletter on CivWiki