Good morning and happy Monday from New England! It’s been quite the eventful week on Civ and because of it, get your pants ready because this newsletter is only going to get longer and longer.
Just a note to Estalia and Rhode Island, just a suggestion for next time – can you start the war not on a Monday after I’ve posted the newsletter? These things get finalized at around 11pm on Sunday and so it does get a little frustrating sometimes when it’s not even “current” events after publishing. At least the Lambat Post is doing midweek editions to cut a little slack.
If you haven’t heard about every conflict this week yet, buckle up! Are you ready to overdose on current events?
Today’s featured image is of Margaritaville, an island nation in the northeast quadrant hosting a relaxing beach vacation as well as venues for multiple activities and games. They welcome everyone free of charge, food stalls and shops, as well as lockers to prevent loss of items. Located near to CivMarket, the island hopes to be a fun retreat for everyone; contact MaybeGravy at Gravy#1650 for more information!
The NATO-Mir War, often known as the Infinity War, was a long-term conflict on CivClassic primarily fought by the namesakes of the war, the NATO alliance and Mir. Both major parties of the war were large military and defensive blocs during CivClassic. Lasting from 2019 to mid-2020, the war is currently the longest on any Civ iteration; its long length gave way to its alternate name. The war has sometimes been regarded as a natural success of the Titan and Somber Wars, with many having military experience in those wars as well as being fought and ending in similar ways.
While the war started from skirmishes in and around Mount Augusta, the widespread scale of the war caused server population to decline. NATO-supported nations caused other conflicts across the server, such as the War of the Coalition and the Entente-Laconia War throughout late 2019 and early 2020. These forced many uninvolved nations in the UDF and Entente to join the war, and eventually help contribute to breaking multiple NATO vaults for over a week at the end of the war. (Full article…)
This week’s featured image is a render of Valyria City after the Siege of Columbia, a critical turning point in the NATO-Mir War which essentially stopped fullscale NATO operations on the Civ server.
This section’s header is an overhead render of Mount Augusta created by TheJmqn, clearly seeing the Foogle Corp building in the background along with a few new skyscrapers.
There’s over 90 subreddit posts since last week, let alone Discord news. This is going to be pretty long.
Don’t Call It a War Yet
Thanks to the Pavian Tribune, Lambat Post and Daily Nut for reporting that helped summarize these events.
- On July 25, Rhode Island fighters broke chests and infrastructure at an Estalian slime farm.
- Estalia said Rhode Island would not want to start a war, Rhode Island reaffirmed that this was not an act of war, but rather an act of retaliation against Capri’s pearling.
- The next day, Rhode Island soldiers broke into an Estalian bunker, which triggered a fight between Estalian officials, resulting in a Rhode Islander being pearled.
- Capri has said that multiple Estalian bunkers have been broken, but at the cost of high-profile pearlings from Estalians, including toontasker, Capri, and Bob_The_BuIlder and The_Pagol.
- Many PvP videos have been released highlighting the conflict, including the two above showing Capri’s and Bob_The_Builder, as well as one from Ez2Clutch about Rhode Islanders unsuccessfully catching him in a chase, and a compilation video by the_jkh
- Different reactions have occurred in many nations; Kallos, has declared neutrality in the war. Elysian Pact members such as Pavia have addressed concern as they could be called on to defend Estalia.
- Pavia was especially concerned as the previously mentioned bunker fight lay close to Pavian territory, while fellow Lyrean Community member Mehri has warned citizens to avoid areas of conflict.
- Titan Industries have also been minorly involved in the war in some capacity, however at the time of writing no information has been given.
- A new alliance called the “Non-Aligned Movement” was created to maintain neutrality in the current conflict.
- Many in the comments have pointed out that most countries on the list have relations to Rhode Island, something that has incited a “very productive” argument.
This subsection’s header is a nighttime render of Icenia’s city center, with Art Deco style skyscrapers including Enron Tower, the train station, and Titan Tower all present in the picture.
- Vah attacked newfriends in Nara and obbybombed the main city, Shiroyama. Players around the Medi Sea came to Nara to help cleanup swiftly.
- He was eventually killed by supposed newfriends, who burned his armor, however he was not pearled.
- A rumor has been going around that Vah is banned from the server; while unconfirmed, this could explain why raids are not continuing.
- Blockchainistan raider AbbyShapiro raided Lilliput, a small collection of islands near the country at the world border.
- Some of you may have realized the Kingdom of ErrorL discord was gone, mostly because Dredd_ deleted the entirely of the discord. It is unknown whether ErrorL or Zachattack (who posted this map of the now “Kingdom of Zach”’s allies) has complete control over the nation.
- On a related note, Mount Augusta “aided” the Kingdom of ErrorL by putting lots of haybales in their base.
- Continuing the related note, members of the Kingdom of ErrorL attacked Rhode Island but were quickly stopped, with Rhode Island reaching out for peace.
- Last weekend saw a relatively long server upgrade as admins move the server to a new machine; while the advertisement said it would only be a few hours, it lasted for just over 9 hours on Saturday. Wingzero thanked everyone for their patience and thanking their developers for getting the server to this stable of a point.
- July 25’s update also came with some impressive TPS changes that prevented large amounts of lag that came within the past week.
- VintageCiv is also committing to a very significant update for their 1.17 upgrade, introducing Temporal Obelisks which acts as a recruiting or bastion-like pylon structure, Rune Stones for groups, and also a comprehensive cartography system.
- On July 25, Dirt was “invaded” by Molokan soldiers, and the leader of Moloka was promptly pearled by Hakr_.
- In reality, this was just a front for Moloka to be annexed by Dirt semi-peacefully, with the country keeping Molokan leaders.
- A rail link was established between Venne and Pridelands at the end of last week, one of the first rails on Alenarith.
- Individuals, notably GeoFreyr, have reposted advertisements for CivMC, some of which have annoyed old players, I would also be super mad if someone did this to me, please stop.
- Lambat’s latest declaration of state policy affirms their position in the wider world as a safe haven for economic development and diplomatic efforts.
- A new state called Sisapaea was created in Moloka, using Toki Pona.
- A large and possibly complicated Civil War has broken out in Reconstruction Era, although it is unknown whether this is satire.
- Pavian workers have spurred unionization calls while excavating a new train station, but the government has all but rejected them. Crossposted from Pavia Tribune.
- Icenia, Truidencia, and Danzilona have began elections this week for new Councillors, Landsraad senators and representatives, respectively. Icenia’s council has also expanded to seven seats.
The Fun Stuff
This section’s header image is an ingame screenshot of Portucale’s waterfront (again?!) in Lusitania, now housing a brewery and many different houses along the shore.
Shockingly Handsome Builds
- MrJeremyFisher has been slowly building up his rendering resume on Flickr, you’ll probably recognize this render of Icenia city at night from earlier in this post as well as this deconstructed render of the train station
- Also joining the cool looking arms race is TheJmqn, posting new renders of Mount Augusta (although it needs to not look like Houston)
- Saren has been posting some bangers in Nara; while I’m linking this RPG post of TheJmqn’s inspired by the screenshot, and better defined by Saren’s most recent video of Shiroyama
- Lusitania is posting wonders again with new renders of Portucale like you saw above
- Among many of the other highlights in the CivMC builds channel,
- Cortwade posts a Toki Pona map of Moloka and their new city
- Kaprediem posts a pretty good propaganda post with a cool civball
- Banyough posts a very, very faithful Civball for Pavia
- u/Brudrustro posts a picture of chad Dirt choking virgin Moloka… not sure about the implications about that though
- BluJaySA posts a comic about Lambat stealing resources, and it’s actually really good, honestly reminds me about the poorly illustrated series
That’s a Spicy Meataballa
- You know, this really is just the same war again, isn’t it
- Me when Vah raids
- When will George Washingmachine become president
- Not one, but two posts trolling the police, one from Yoahtl complaining about Orinnari positioning and another about uh…well, wait what war was it called again?
- I don’t even get the context behind this Vah meme
- Imagine getting insided twice in one Civ iteration, that’s something Nox didn’t even get a chance to do
- Clearly this is another foolproof way to trap someone
- Utopia has declared…anti-neutrality?
- I’m entirely convinced that Gensokyo and Truidencia planned this from the start
- This is what PVP perfection looks like, you may not like it, but it is true
- You know I was joking about SpeedyJustice getting his own TV show right?
- Not making people explode would be ridiculous!
- In case you didn’t get the joke, the “You’re not the only one enjoying CivMC!” post is a reference to this very similar post on CivRealms, which was also mocked on CivClassic. It’s also funny since it got posted just after the server upgrade.
- God, I would give anything for regular sports games in Civ again
- Another new claims map was released last week by TheJmqn, mostly highlighting the new war.
- RektTangle, you can rest knowing that Brewery was recieved extremely well, ok? You put so much into it that I think you deserve a little break
Wartime Cry for Help
This section’s header picture is of a Civball representation of Pavia, created by banyough.
Thanks for reading this week’s Monday Newsletter! If you made it through, I commend you because this week’s newsletter took a lot of work.
If you want to see your own content in this newsletter, reach out to me (specificlanguage#2891), or take a look at this form! I’ll read anything and try to incorporate it into the newsletter if I can. We accept featured articles, current events, ads, interviews, opinion posts, joke posts, serious posts, shit posts, etc.
This week was especially hard since there was a lot of news-related things that weren’t exactly laid out easily on the subreddit, or other news around different discords. If anybody wants to help contribute, then please do! It makes the newsletter more lively and shows that the server isn’t just at face value on the subreddit.
Additionally, another way to help out is to document your country’s history on CivWiki! For a limited timeTM, we are offering a special CivTCG card for those who edit or create quality articles on CivWiki. We’ll reach out on how to obtain these prizes soon for those who qualify sometime in the future.
Thanks for reading, and as always,