Good morning and happy Monday from New England! Is it almost spooky time yet?
Hope you’ve been having a good week connecting rails and bringing both things and people together. I’m very glad there continues to be opportunities for Civ players to gather in game in both Danzilona and Pavia, to name a few. Obviously, someone mentioned something about Olympics and I tried to highlight it a week or two ago, but it’s all good.
Not much from my front this week, I was mostly worried about a stupid writing midterm in my international relations class. But who cares, onto the news!
This week’s featured image is of Estalia’s currently under-construction rail station and market at 0,0. Although you’re viewing the market as of right now, the megastructure’s progress is coming along incredibly fast thanks to help from many other nations, especially with a build party this past weekend. It’s intended to become a grand successor to Gmall. Great work!
Alexandria, officially the Free City of Alexandria, was a country on CivRealms self-described as “founded with the desire to provide a friendly place for newfriends to learn about basic server mechanics and the history of the server”. Growing from a Brewer’s Guild, the city became the server’s most populous area, it seceded from Varathia due to its growing population. It became implicated in many wars throughout the server’s history, such as the Ez2War and being involved in minor conflicts in the USA War.
The main building in the city was the Newfriend Manor, intended as an entry point for newfriends to be introduced to the mechanics and plugins on the server. Among other landmarks in the city are the Statue of Athena, Temple of Sarapis, Ampitheatre, and the Lighthouse. Like many other countries, the country held territory in CivRealms’ various expansions, in this case, Solitude in the Thomas Archipelago. The country served as a quality example for newfriend orientation, however no direct successor in CivMC was created.
This week’s featured picture is the Statue of Athena when approaching Alexandria from the sea.
The Eagle within the Free Republic of Danzilona, on the outset of their 10th anniversary.
- A voice chat was shown with an Imperial Federation leader perceiving Borians as those “lower class”. (This was largely intended as a joke, as Thorian people were already being treated equally.)
- During the leaked video, CJTheKing12345 set off TNT during a government meeting and killed four players. More TNT was placed below the building as well.
- As a result, CJTheKing and Swampbog were declared as wanted for “being a sore loser”.
- Despite this, CJ declared that he did nothing wrong.
- The Blue Cross (formerly known as the Red Cross) backed the Borians, stating that it was a genocide and Imperial legislators should repeal this policy.
- Thankfully, after a few days, Thorians declared the Imperial Federation had recognized their plight, integrating them into the Federation and reaffirming to treat them equally.
- In other drama news, the nation of Ostersund claimed that Hyperborean leader Spaceman_Spleef was not allowing them to become independent, despite being allowed to do so in the constitution.
- This became an ongoing discussion within the Confederation, eventually resulting in the Pact of the Hyperborean Brotherhood, essentially breaking the area into states with relative autonomy.
- Eventually, Federation of Esberg-Ostersund joined the Imperial Federation, suggesting that Hyperborea rule was incredibly disliked.
- Hg_80, binchymonkey and HaroldtheHog were banned from the Temporal Isles after placing some grief. Comments indicate a PvP fight broke out.
- Mery citizens were concerned after Pavian officials entered their land and began building. It turned out it was part of a Pavian infrastructure project, hoping to expand out to rest of the Lyrean Community. Crossposted from the Pavian Outpost.
- Additionally, the Crown Prince is facing a crisis as citizens are dying in the country due to starvation, with citizens clamoring for better access to food.
- SPQR and the newly formed Taiga Kingdom signed the Treaty of Labux, committing to judicial and defensive friendship.
- Nipplerock leader Gantoe arrived in Icenia and unilaterally annexed it.
- This was quickly followed up by Gantoe blowing up the train station with ChrisChrispie saying “I hope we reinforced that.”
- bulgariafan eventually returned back to Lonnik after being freed
- Lambat claimed the inactive states of The Collective and Za State, now sharing a peninsula with Mery.
- Additionally, L-City was established as a metropolitan area, with elections for the Metropolitan Council set to happen this coming week. Crossposted from the Lambat Post.
- However, the government announced that because of a lack of candidates, the election would be postponed for two months, and President Kaprediem would select the first mayor of L-City.
- Danzilona celebrated 10 years on Civ servers, making it one of the longest continued running countries on Civ servers; they celebrated with an event last Wednesday.
- Yuuki was crowned as the queen of Western Boundary. Crossposted from the Federalist Paper.
- The SNACC Line between Nara and Commonwealth was completed on Sunday.
- Pavian Crown Prince Creepi0n has made a decree making all citizens to build homes in the city in order to prevent them living in the caves!
- CivMC admins made an announcement imploring people to ban those banned from the server from their nation’s discord. Many however, were confused and wanted clarification from the admins on who was banned, and who should be.
- CivReign’s latest teaser highlights the overhaul of farming and crops with the introduction of seasons, a much-hypothesized system of crop balancing that is finally being implemented.
The Fun Stuff
Pavia’s town hall exterior, seen from the courtyard gardens by the train station.
Builds That Will Shock You!
- iOminous is building a hell-version of an intricate city, which I would highlight here but I’m trying to save all the spooky pics for next week’s edition on Halloween
- Amphetamine_King showed off his relatively small building in Butternut County, but it’s a perfect example of a cozy build.
- Dalgon has a big hole
- SPQR is continuing their building spree with several new builds
- Shiroyama’s NDZHL rink is looking fantastic – hope the ice doesn’t melt
- Time for a sum of this week’s highlighted pictures:
- Pavia’s town hall was a completely new original picture taken by me!
- I’ve gotten several pictures from Altepetl thank to Mochas, including this one featuring a Magenta Cube, an impressive castle, and a newly constructed bridge on the Great Overground Railroad
- Estalia is working on their infrastructure at the market, with the picture above as well the ceiling of the station here. They’re quickly working on the aboveground section. I would take a picture, but there were no good angles to take when I went!
Number 4 is a Masterpiece!
This week’s multimedia entries saw very many entries to Southshire’s CivBall halloween contest, where the winner would get a hefty prize of a stack of diamond blocks. I would highlight them but I want to eventually highlight the winner, if there is one. Among my favorites:
- Southshire’s Rhode Island mask
- Yoahtl’s vampire
- Fempire’s witch
- A way too good ensemble art by Quauhtli’n’Mia
Submissions are still open! Anyway…
- I don’t like the post itself but the actual WANTED poster from the Temporal Isles is really good
- A nice map of all 15(!) of the Commonwealth’s boroughs
I Bet You Won’t Laugh at Number 2!
- The Lonnik situation is just :clueless: to the next level
- Hey, let’s “derelict” some properties, it’ll make the city even “better”
- Can we stop with all the “You’re not the only one that loves X” memes, it’s become too overdone and not even funny anymore
- Was the war really just a fever dream??
- Speaking of fever dreams, the voter tree is gone again
- Ch1pr is going to be on a witch trial
- Big Dumper
- Walter White wasn’t just addicted to meth
- My personal, non-Civ addition for the week: Bee Dee Gee’s
- Insert nick rant here about getting pearled
Mandatory Ad Break
- Another slight increase to the price of diamonds at CivMarket, nearly back to levels not seen since the end of the war.
- The Royal Lusitan Corporation has drastically lowered XP prices down to 5d per block, available in Lusitania.
- Hg_80’s math lesson
You Won’t Believe These Metagame Highlights!
- Oh boy, another claims map from TheJmqn! How is the server completely full at this point??
- Solitare7 shows off a very oddly shaped diamond vein on a chunk border
- Not even a Civ thing but GenericWarloq has been simulating games of CivMC nations taking over Stellaris this past week and just the time commitment for that is kinda crazy
Getting Spookier Cry for Help
A residential area of Altepetl, Yoahtl’s capital in the jungle.
Sorry for getting a little clickbaity in that last second, I just thought it was funny.
Thank you to Get_Skinny for proofreading this week and many thanks to all the contributors who are doing great work the newsletter. It’s shocking to me how much support this has gotten over the last checks calendar 23 weeks, so if you want to contribute to the news (especially Featured Articles), please do so at this google form, lest a vampire comes sleeping in your bed and sucks your will to play Civ out of you.
Haha, not like that would ever happen anyways. In any case…